Daily Bible Verse

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Why Teach Your Children to Obey?

More notes from Sheree's Teaching ...
So why is obedience important?

I found Sheree's observations of this critically important to remind me of why child training and discipline are so important.

1) Their obedience to us is important first and foremost because children are commanded by God to obey mother and father in the Lord. We reinforce this by making them obey the first time.
When we allow them to disobey us we allow them to dishonor God. (that quote really struck me. I guess I never looked at that as seriously as I should)

2) Obedient children are promised favor and blessing from the Lord.

3)There are serious consequences to children who don't obey their parents.

4)Children who are taught to obey immediately cheerfully, and completely are more easily taught and discipled in other areas.

5)Lets just face it....Obedient children are more pleasant.
Remember...only God can change the hearts of children and parents!

I pulled some scripture for us to reference her discussion :

Deuteronomy 12:28
Be careful to obey all these words that I command you, that it may go well with you and with your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the Lord your God.
Ephesians6:1-4
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), 3 that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Colossians 3-20
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

No comments:

Family

Us

The Way of the Master